Saturday, June 23, 2012

My Brownie Cookie Love Affair

These brownie cookies were sooo irresistible that one bite turned into two, then three and...well look at the almost empty glass of milk! 



 I'm not much of a cookie girl when it comes to my favorite sweets, but these brownie cookies have stolen my heart! Brownies have always been a go-to item when I want an indulgent and comforting treat, so I had high hopes for this new take on them. To say these sweeties delivered on their promise would be an understatement considering that I have already made them 3 times and really had to contain myself each time. I will admit though, that the second time I made them I wasn't as impressed. As it turns out, using unenriched, unbleached flour was the downfall of the second batch even though they were still pretty good. The unbleached flour gave the cookies a more crunchy texture that felt kinda dry to me in comparison to the rich, chewy texture of the first & third batches.
So, if you like a crunchy cookie, try unenriched,
unbleached flour, but if you like the soft & moist texture of say, the middle brownie of a batch, than go with unenriched, bleached flour. It still has a slight crunch on the edges that give it that cookie feel, but the inside is so soft and almost fudgey yet not too sweet. I could go on and on about the deliciousness of these treats, but the more I describe them and drool over these pics, the more I am tempted to make another batch! As it is, my thoughtful hubby had to practically pry a dozen from my death grip to take to his coworkers so we wouldn't gain five pounds over the weekend. I love to share my creations with them, but I will admit that it was hard to part with these this time. Actually, I'm starting to worry that with all of the goodies I've been experimenting with lately, I may have to skip out on any summer activities that involve wearing a swimsuit in public this year! Believe me, it'll be a small price to pay, so do yourself (or a loved one) a favor and bake these gems today!

Thank goodness I would be seeing my brother the week I made these so I could unload all these tempting treats on him!


Brownie Cookie Recipe

½ cup butter
4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3 cups (18 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (I recommend unenriched, bleached flour which is most common)
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 ½ cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup roughly chopped walnuts (optional)

Combine butter, unsweetened chocolate, and 1 ½ cups chocolate chips in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until butter and chocolate melt (will be slightly thick). Let cool while separately you combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl, set aside.

Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer. Lower speed and gradually add dry ingredients to egg mixture. Then add the chocolate mixture and beat well. Stir in remaining 1 ½ cups chocolate chips and walnuts.

Scoop dough (should resemble thick cake batter) onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper about 1 inch apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-14 minutes. Carefully remove cookies from baking sheets leaving them on the parchment paper and transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.

Recipe adapted from Pure and Yummy


No comments:

Post a Comment